For some families, it’s a babysitting service, pool and kid’s club, for others, it is a self-contained apartment with cooking and laundry facilities. While all families have varying expectations, family friendly accommodation is not just a place to pull up for the night, it’s a place that offers something special to welcome families and cater for children. At Executive Escapes, we understand the importance of having comfortable and convenient accommodation for your family and we have a wide range of luxurious short stay accommodation options in Perth suitable for executives and families alike. Here’s our guide to choosing a family-friendly place to stay.
Lots of hotels claim to be family-friendly, that may mean they have a pool, or that there’s no extra charge for kids sleeping in the same room with parents, or it might be that they give your child a welcome lemonade or kids pack on arrival. While hotels can be a good option for families, often rooms are set up to only accommodate 2 people so booking two full rooms may be required. This can double the cost and mean children are in a completely separate room, albeit with an interconnecting door. If a hotel is what you a looking for, you should ask the following questions:
- Is the bedding flexible? (eg. 2 double beds, split kings, sofa bed).
- Are children included for no extra cost if using existing bedding?
- Is there access to portacots?
- Do children eat free with paying adults?
- Is there free or cheap car parking?
- Is the hotel in close proximity to public transport?
- Is there a children’s play area?
While hotels are often a popular choice as they are generally found in high tourist areas, close to main attractions, it pays to do you research as even hotels that claim to be family friendly may have hidden charges when it comes to the little ones.
Depending on your destination, a resort is often a fabulous option for families with children of all ages. Typically found in beachside locations, if you are visiting a large city or town you may have trouble finding resort-style accommodation. If you have found a resort you like, you should consider the following:
- Is there a kids’ club? check if usage is included or at an extra cost and ask about opening hours (an evening session gives you the chance to have a dinner together as a couple).
- Activities – what is free and what involves additional fees?
- Do children eat free?
- Is there an all-inclusive package available?
- Check the rooms on offer. Some resorts can only sleep 3 in a room, requiring you to book an extra room.
A top choice for families with children of all ages, especially babies and toddlers. Self-contained apartments include full kitchen and laundry facilities making it easy to prepare a meal and wash clothes when needed. Some important things to consider about self-contained apartments:
- Check bedding arrangements (does the second bedroom have two singles or a double requiring your children to share)
- Is the décor child friendly? You don’t want to be worried about children breaking ornaments and furniture.
- Does the apartment have a washing machine and dryer?
- Is a highchair or portacot provided?
Other helpful features that make a property family-friendly
- A central location, close to the attractions you’ll be visiting, parklands and public transportation.
- A refrigerator to store snacks, an in-room microwave and coffee maker to let you warm up snacks, or make a light breakfast.
- Close proximity to a supermarket or convenience store.
- Hotel grounds with open green spaces or even including a children’s playground or indoor play area.
- A babysitting service (or kids club) if you plan to go out without the kids.
- Free WIFI.
- A bathtub in the bathroom.
- Plastic crockery and cutlery.
- Toys, games and books available for loan.
- Pool & beach toys for loan.
Travelling with children, especially young children, may seem overwhelming but it doesn’t have to be difficult. After all, enjoy quality time together and making memories is what it’s all about. The best way to ensure a smooth and easy family getaway is with the right accommodation, a place that welcomes kids and provides everything you need to make you feel like you have a home away from home.
Executive Escapes has a large portfolio of family-friendly, self-contained short stay accommodation options throughout Perth. We go the extra mile to supply cots, high chairs and other children’s amenities to ensure your Perth stay is memorable for the right reasons. Contact us today to find the right Perth property for your family getaway – we even have pet friendly options so you can bring your four-legged friend too. Find out more today.