Spring is the perfect time for a family getaway, and it’s also the best time of year to travel with pets. Not too hot and not too cold, the days are warm and sunny and the evenings cool, making car trips pleasant and lazy days at the park or beach a great way to relax. At Executive Escapes, we have a diverse range of family friendly accommodation options in Perth that welcome four-legged friends as well. If you are planning a trip with your dog or cat, here’s a few handy tips will help you and your family enjoy a safe, happy and relaxing holiday with your pets along to share in the fun.
Prepare Before You Go
Preparation is the key to ensuring the success of any holiday, especially when pets are involved. A few things to consider before you depart include:
- Making sure your pet is up to date on all vaccinations, worming and parasite control before you leave
- If you’re travelling to a hot and humid location, trim your pet’s hair to help keep your pet cool
- Tags and microchips will help identify your pet in case your dog or cat gets lost so ensure your registered contact details are correct so you can easily be contacted if your pet goes missing
- If your pet likes a particular brand of food and you are unsure if you can buy it at your destination, make sure you pack enough for the length of your stay
- Pack kitty litter if you’re travelling with your cat or droppings disposal bags if you’re travelling with your dog
Make Sure Your Destination and Activities Will Be Pet Friendly
While many holiday destinations have accommodation options for travellers with cats and dogs – many do not. Research your destination and be sure to find a pet-friendly option that will suit your whole family. There are many family holiday accommodation options which cater well for pets and include food and water bowls, bedding and even toys to make your pets feel at home. Also check for pet restrictions at beaches, parks and popular attractions that you plan to visit. Consider the type of activities you plan to do on your holiday, if your trip involves plenty of outdoor time on the beach or in a park, or if you and your family plan to stick close to your hotel or rental during most of the holiday, your pet will likely enjoy the trip more than if your itinerary is packed with shopping, dining, and visiting museums.
Car Safety for Your Pet
The best way to travel with pets is definitely by car, however it’s important that they are restrained appropriately. This should be in a specially designed carrier or cage, which should have good ventilation, plenty of room to move about and a secure door. Dogs can also be restrained and protected with a safety harness that attaches them to a seat belt. This prevents injury if you are to brake suddenly and it also prevents them from jumping out if the windows are open.
Other Tips to Ensure a Stress-Free Holiday with Your Pet
- Don’t feed your pet just before they travel
- Stop every few hours to allow your pet to get some fresh air
- Use a window blind or towel to shield your pet from the sun while they’re in the car
- Never leave your pet unattended in a hot car, and always take a water container to quench your pet’s thirst and prevent dehydration
- Pets can easily get sunburnt, use a pet-friendly sunscreen daily if travelling to a hot and sunny destination
- Take their basket or bedding to ensure they feel comfortable while staying in a different environment
Don’t leave your pet behind when you go away. With a little advance preparation and the perfect pet-friendly accommodation, you can ensure a safe, entertaining and relaxing holiday with your family and your pets. Executive Escapes has a wide range of pet-friendly properties of various styles all over Perth that offer the ideal place for you and your four-legged friends to relax and enjoy. Browse our listings now or contact us today to find out more.